There are an estimated 7,000 languages in the world today with Asia holding the title for the most languages in one continent with 2,200. There are a number of facts about languages, some interesting, some funny and some sad.
As a leading translation and interpretation services company, the Access 2 Interpreters team is well versed in over 180 different languages. We help break the language barrier and are always looking for interesting articles relating to our field.
Below are the top 10 amazing facts about languages all over the world.
1. One language dies every 2 weeks (14 days).
2. 300 = the number of languages the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights has been published in. It is the world’s most translated document.
3. 6 = the number of official UN languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
4. Pinocchio, the book, is available in the most languages… after the Bible, of course.
5. 2,454 is the number of languages the Bible, or at least sections of it, is available in.
6. 4500BC is the oldest written language year to have been found. It was found in China on Yangshao culture pottery.
7. 9 = the number of languages the Pope tweets in. His Spanish account one has the most followers, closely followed by English.
8. Believe it or not, sign language has accents just as many other spoken languages.
9. If babies hear foreign languages in their first few months, they’ll find picking up languages easier in later life, a study has shown.
10. The United States has no official language.
Access 2 Interpreters is a Columbus Translation Company and an Ohio Interpretation Company. A2I is dedicated to providing professional interpretation and translation services throughout Ohio and across the U.S. For additional interesting language statistics read 50 fun facts about world languages.